nuffnang

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rooney: Everton Still My Number One Club


The England international insists he still loves the team he supported as a boy

Ahead of Manchester United's clash against Everton in the FA Cup semi-finals on Sunday, Wayne Rooney has revealed he still has an affection for his former club.

The 23-year-old grew up supporting the Toffees before rising through their youth ranks to play in the first team between 2002-2004.

Since his £25.5 million move to Old Trafford, the England international striker has been jeered by some of the Merseyside outfit's supporters, while he has taunted them by kissing the Red Devils badge.

However, the Croxteth-born star is adamant that he still holds Everton close to his heart.

"I always want Everton to do well. It's always a bit strange when I face them, because they're the club I supported growing up and then played for," Rooney is quoted as saying in The Daily Mail.

"There's always banter between me and the Everton fans, but it doesn't run too deep for me.

"Theirs is the result I still look out for first and I've said before that I'd love them to finish second in the Premier League to us.

"I'm looking forward to Sunday's game. I've got a lot of family going down to London for the match and there'll be mixed feelings whatever the outcome but hopefully we can get through to the final."

Rooney also suggested that Toffees fans should think twice before aiming abuse in his direction, as it will only backfire.

He said, "All the stick I get makes me want to do better, but it doesn't bother me that much now."

No comments: